This post’s title says, first looks are awesome! There’s just nothing else to it! First looks are something that have become more common in recent years. My husband and I decided on a first look and some of my most favorite photos come from our first look.
So here are some situations that could possibly happen on your wedding day that could possibly conflict with photo time if you don’t have a first look…
– Things can and most likely will not stay on schedule. You’ll likely go over the estimated amount of time, especially things like a catholic mass.
– If you’re traveling from Point A (ceremony) to Point B (reception), there could possibly be traffic! Or just really stupid people who don’t know how to drive.
– You could get held up by a mob of wedding guests who are SO excited that you just got married!
– Family photos could take SO much longer than you anticipated because Uncle Bill decided to go smoke after the ceremony and he can’t be found.
And last but most importantly…
– The sun goes down. And therefore goes away. See ya sunlight!
And now for some fabulous reasons why first looks are awesome…
– You absolutely WILL GET that image of him seeing you for the first time. And it will be beautiful. And it will just be the two of you.
– You’ll be able to have some alone time together. Chances are that you haven’t seen each other since the night before at your rehearsal- you’re bound to be bursting at the seams because you have something to tell your best friend, right?! Oh, and there’s the fact that you’re going to be SUPER excited that you’re about to get married!
– You can cry, he can cry- each of you can show every bit of emotion that you’re actually feeling because it’s just the two of you (and your photographer).
– You won’t have to worry about rushing to take photos right after the ceremony.
– If the weather decides to act up after your ceremony (rain, snow, sleet, wind, etc), you’re not completely screwed.
– You won’t have to worry about whether or not your photographer got enough awesome photos of you and your non-photogenic now-husband .
– You’ll have more time to enjoy your wedding day. Hey, you might even be able to go to cocktail hour!
– Your photographer will for sure have time to capture photos of the reception decor before guests go in!
Oh and the most important one…
– The photos will be AMAZING!
Now I know what you’re thinking. You want to stick with the traditional route. You want to have the experience of walking down the aisle and seeing your fiancé’s face light up. BUT you’ll still have that experience. You’re not changing the fact that you’re still walking down the aisle, or that his face will still light up. You would just be eliminating the chance for stressing about photos. When I was walking down the aisle, I was so concerned about not tripping and not crying that I could hardly even look up at my husband! Plus some guests may try and talk to you as you walk down, like telling you how beautiful you are!
I’m not saying you HAVE to do a first look. I’m just saying that it will make your day so much better- from a photo perspective and from a logistics perspective! So give it some thought. It’s a great opportunity, too, when you have 2 photographers, that way they are able to catch each person’s emotion.
For those of you have had gotten married already, please comment and share what you did! If you’re still trying to decide, we can help you- tell us why you’re on the fence.